Appalachia Service Project (ASP) provides one of the most rewarding structured service opportunities in the nation — bringing thousands of volunteers from around the country to rural Central Appalachia to repair homes for low-income families. Their goal is to make homes “warmer, safer and drier” for needy families and for more than 40 years, they’ve done exactly that for thousands of families.
Calvary UMC, in cooperation with Rehoboth UMC (of Williamsport MD), is proud to partner with ASP again this October.
- Where? this year we will be traveling to the Guyan Valley Center in Wyoming County, WV. We are very excited to see how God will use us there.
- When? October 4-7, 2018. Calvary volunteers will be leaving early in the morning on Thursday, October 4th and returning mid-afternoon on Sunday, October 7th.
- What? We will be doing repair of damaged homes and increasing the habitability of homes that have fallen into disrepair. Work varies but often includes painting, scraping of surfaces, removing damaged items, building ramps, etc. Various ability levels and expertise are welcomed - including those who have no home repair experience.
- Transportation: Pastor Matthew will be driving his minivan and, if needed, other drivers are also welcomed.
- Cost: The cost of the trip is $250, made payable to Calvary UMC, with WV Missions in the memo line. Payment can also be made online at our website giving page by selecting "WV Mission Trip 2018" in dropdown list.
It is vitally important for you to review all of the information on this page, and in particular the Required Reading below. The minimum age required for youth is 14. Any youth who attends needs to be accompanied by a parent/guardian unless they have consulted with Pastor Matthew regarding our Safe Sanctuary policies. ASP 2018 Volunteer Packet provides additional details for participants and parents of youth who are interested in attending this year’s mission trip. It is very important that EVERYONE who is interested in attending the mission trip thoroughly reviews this document. Your name will not be added to the team roster until all requirements listed in this document have been completed and returned to the ASP Coordinator, Pastor Matthew. Please submit all forms to the church office.
Furthermore every participant and parent must read the: ASP Expectations, Rules and Regulations, Safety Manual for Volunteers, 3- S’s Sensitivity, Safety and Stewardship.
2018 ASP Online Registration Instructions which gives a complete tutorial on how to complete this process.
Please follow the instructions carefully. After your Application has been received and you have been added to the 2018 ASP Team Roster, you will need to complete the online registration on the Appalachian Service Project’s (ASP) website. Simply follow the link to the to the ASP Quick Group Member Sign-up Page at http://www.servicenetwork.com/reg/APPSERV/Join.asp using the code #7663 (Rehoboth UMC) get started.
For more information about Appalachia Service Project, see www.asphome.org
For many years we have sent teams of volunteers to Central Appalachia with the goal to make homes warmer, safer and drier for families in need, while offering transformational experiences for families, volunteers and staff alike. The majority of the volunteers are high school aged youth who perform most of the repairs themselves under the watchful eyes and guidance of adult leaders.
ASP is more than just a home repair program. Often the experience serves to enlighten everyone that the differences between us are only perceived—deep down we all want to be loved, to belong, to own something, and to create something worthwhile—no matter where we live, our economic status, education, or ethnic identity. No one walks away from the ASP experience unchanged—not the families served, the volunteers, or ASP staff.
2018 ASP Theme
We are pleased to announce our theme for the upcoming program year – “CALLED TO ACTION“.
Our scripture for the year is Isaiah 6:8 – Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I; send me!”
This year’s ASP theme is an expression of purpose, service, and invitation to participate in God’s ongoing work in the world. God sends out the call, and God’s people are the called. We are called to stand with those who are hurting and struggling. We are called to speak on behalf of those who do not have a voice. We are called to serve all people “right where they are, just the way they are.”
Appalachia Service Project is celebrating 50 years of answering the call to serve among the people of Central Appalachia with humility and enthusiasm in the same way that Isaiah answered the call from God to serve in his time and place. We are excited to see how God continues to call us into our future together!
What You’ll Do at ASP
- Make one family’s home warmer, safer, and drier
- Repair roofs, install insulation, fix floors, shore up foundations, build handicapped ramps, and perform a host of other improvements and repairs
- Worship, bond, and pull together as a group
- Lift an Appalachian family’s spirits and remind them that God’s love knows no boundaries
- For more information about volunteering with ASP click here.
What ASP Will Do for You
- Develop a heart for Christian service
- Help you make a dent in poverty right here in America
- Give you new appreciation for what you have
- Draw your church group closer together
- Come home more on fire for your faith and more involved in your church or community.
To make this service trip a reality requires financial support.
ASP 2018 Sponsorship Opportunities
- Silver Nail ($1-$49): You will receive a sponsor certificate and a postcard from the ASP team.
- Golden Hammer ($50 or more): You will receive a certificate, a postcard from the ASP team and a photo of the team.
- Platinum Toolbox (Sponsor a volunteer, $310.00): You will receive a certificate, a postcard from the ASP team, a photo of the team and a 2018 ASP T-shirt or 2 ASP Coffee Mugs (please specify on sponsor form).
Please consider becoming a sponsor. Simply fill out the 2018 Appalachian Service Project Sponsor Form. Please use a Special Offering Envelope and place in the offering plate or in the ASP Mailbox in the hallway or give to the ASP Volunteer you are sponsoring.