The COVID-19 pandemic has left many without jobs, without security, and without resources to feed their families. In response, Calvary launched Mission COVID, a project to raise funds and supplies for our neighbors most in need.
A few quick facts:
- In early May, the Associated Press reported that nearly 1 in 4 people in the United States are currently food insecure in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC) reports a 40% increase in demand at their centers, and 1 in 3 of their clients are children.
- Chiralagua, also known as Arlandria, is a mostly-immigrant community a short distance from Calvary. In recent weeks it has become a hotspot for COVID, with over 55% of tests coming back positive.
- Many residents of Chiralagua work within the restaurant and service industry, and now over 50% of them are unemployed.
Calvary’s Mission:COVID has set to raise significant funds for area food banks and Chiralagua-based assistance programs.
This fundraising effort will culminate on Saturday, June 6th from 11 AM – 1 PM, when Calvary will host “Stuff the Truck!” – an effort to collect food and supplies desperately needed by our neighbors in the Chiralagua community.
- To contribute to this effort via our secure online portal, please click here and select “Mission: COVID” from the dropdown menu.
- You can read more about “Stuff the Truck” and see a list of preferred items here!
- Stories of our neighbors in need
If you have questions, need more info, or want to volunteer to help us load and unload the Truck on June 6th, please contact Kirsten Dougherty at [email protected] or 703-822-3814.