All Virginia Conference United Methodist Churches have cancelled in-person worship through June 7th. This comes from the Governor's stay-at-home order. If the Governor's executive order is rescinded or revised before June 10, Bishop Lewis will re-evaluate the status of in-person worship.
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace." - Numbers 6:24-26
Calvary is seeking to keep people healthy, create community, and care for the vulnerable in these peculiar times. Please see the below list of some of the things we are doing right now. Please participate in whatever way you can:
- Conforming to the guidelines of our Bishop and CDC, we will only have online worship at 11am until further notice.
- All gatherings (including civic, recovery, and ministry groups) have been postponed or asked to meet online.
- Our staff is practicing social distancing and working remotely, when possible.
However, there are many opportunities to “cherish community” and “foster faith” (which are parts of our mission statement) such as:
- Please join us for online worship (click here) and invite others whose churches might not have this capability.
- Facebook Devotional: Pastor Connor leading a Facebook-Live devotional on Wednesday mornings.
Ministry through Music: “Hymns from the Heart”
- We invite you to follow the Calvary music program blog, “Hymns from the Heart.” It is a curated collection of hymns, songs, and prayers with new postings 2-3 times a week. It is written by our Music Director, Jason Strunk and can be found at https://calvaryunitedmethodistmusic.blogspot.com.
- You are welcome to leave comments or notes of encouragement to others who may be following or come across the blog.
- Staff and Stephen ministers are seeking to keep us all connected by the establishment of a phone and email tree. We will be calling all regular worshipers to offer encouragement, provide up-to-date information, and provide a general check-in on health and well-being. Please let us know what needs you have when we call.
- Please email Pastor Connor any prayer requests you have ([email protected]).
- We’ve created an online group for devotions and activities to foster connections between families of children & youth. To receive these ideas and devotions email Beth Posey @ [email protected] (or call the preschool @ 703-892-4112).
Caring for the vulnerable:
- Blood Drive on April 4 was canceled but will be postponed for a future date.
- Donating food to Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC): Money is best right now. You can bring food donations to our loading dock from 8am-4pm Monday-Saturday. 2708 S Nelson St.
- As the health crisis becomes an economic crisis for some, we will find ways to help people care for essential needs.
Please also consider continuing your giving to Calvary via online contributions. The support of our staff and ministries are critical at this time.
As always, follow healthy physical and spiritual practices. Know that we are praying for you and that you are not alone. By the grace of God, we have the strength to remain connected, caring, and strong together.
Yours in Christ,